Leopard Trails practices Responsible Tourism. Everything that comes with us leaves with us. We aim to minimise our impact on the environment whilst retaining western standards of comfort. We are here to show-case a true wilderness experience and prioritise above all else, the protection of nature.
Supporting the local community
- We work hand-in-hand with the local community.
- Our campsite staff and drivers have been handpicked from the local community.
- Fruit, vegetables, meat, seafood and other provisions are sourced from local suppliers.
- Transportation and logistics providers are from the area
- Where possible equipment is manufactured and maintained within the local area including the use of local welders, carpenters, plumbers, and garages.
Supporting the environment
- To reduce our dependency on plastics we discourage the use of plastic water bottles unless specifically requested by guests. We use reusable stainless steel thermos flasks filled from reusable American Water 5 gallon containers. American Premium is a purified bottled-water company in Sri Lanka with ABWA certification. ABWA (Asian and Middle East Bottled-Water Association) is an adjunct to the world-renowned IBWA.
- All garbage is removed and disposed of outside the National park through the local council. Garbage is locked and sealed at camp each night.
- We encourage guests to help us conserve water by reusing towels and bedsheets should they choose to do so.
How can you be a responsible traveller?
- Avoid speeding to sightings after a tip off. Cases of safari vehicles colliding with wildlife are on the rise. It is far more rewarding to track wildlife in the lesser traveled parts of the park.
- Be conscious of wrappers and other litter flying out of your vehicle.
- Do not lean out of vehicles or alight from the vehicle except at designated get off points where it is permitted to do so.
- Avoid wearing white and other bright colors while on safari.
- Whisper at sightings. A loud human voice may disturb animals and cause them to change their behavior and movements.
- Arrive on time. Vehicles are not permitted to enter through the park entrance after 4pm so please arrive well in advance to avoid disappointment.
- Use water sparingly
- Reuse towels and bed sheets wherever possible.
- Need a transfer organised to the park? Talk to us about organising a transfer in a spacious air-conditioned Toyota Prius Hybrid.